Many of us have already experienced this terrible kind of pain. When we have a headache it sometimes seems that there’s no way out except a huge dose of pain killers. But, we can find the help somewhere else.
Things you shouldn’t do when having a headache
First and foremost let’s find out what you shouldn’t do when having a headache.
Getting rid of a headache
And now things you can do to cope with your headache without medicine:
1. The easiest way is to lie down, close your eyes and relax. Then wait 10-15 minutes and your headache will be gone. In most cases this method works.
2. Make a head massage with gentle movements going from the forehead to the nape. Next go to the ears gradually descending to the neck. Don’t forget to massage your neck too.
3. Air the room or if it’s possible go outside for a walk. Fresh air will help you a lot.
4. Make the room dark and humidify the air. It also helps.
5. Take a warm (not hot) bath, adding a few drops of essential oils (lavender, lemon, peppermint, marjoram).
6. Make a cold compress – it will constrict blood vessels in the painful area and will help to cope with a headache.
7. Drink a glass of water. Very often headache is caused by a dehydration of your body, which may occur not only during a hot day but, for example, after a workout at the gym.
8. Eat something. Irregular meals often leads to headaches.
9. Listen to a quiet pleasant music.
10. Try to get rid of constant stress and it will help you to avoid headache in future.
Despite the fact that the main causes of headaches are poor nutrition, stress and fatigue, dental problems may also cause headaches. In that case, if the headache is localized in the eyeballs, you feel the clicks in the jaw joints and pain in the ears, neck or back, consult your dentist.
And remember that headaches are very serious no matter what the reason is, so try to avoid them or get rid of them very quickly…
… and take care of yourself!
Photo by David Niblack