Provide a good sleep for your child
Regardless of age, the quality of sleep and rest very strongly influence our ability to maintain healthy, and show good results when we are awake. The same can be said about children. A good sleep helps a child to wake up rested and refreshed. Good sleep not only helps to relieve stress, but also ensures a good pastime for you and your child.
There are no strict rules about how to sleep and there is always possible individual adaptation. Your child is unique. If you fit a common practice, good for you. Some approaches are more effective than others. But below I provide you the most effective ones.
- Consider a sleep as one of the main priorities in your family and make it a part of your daily schedule. Discuss with your child’s doctor the problems connected with your child’s sleep. Most of them are very easy to solve.
- Learn to recognize sleep problems of your child. You should pay attention to the quality of your child’s sleep, whether he wakes up at night, snores, or doesn’t want to go to sleep, etc. These sleep problems can affect a child’s behavior during the day, for example, he will be tired, cranky and will want to sleep.
- Consistency. As in all other cases, you must be consistent – it’s the key to success. Without it, you can’t change your child’s behavior.
- Teamwork. If both parents are engaged in child’s upbringing, it’s important to discuss the strategy and act as a team.
- Establish a regular time when you go to bed and when you get up. These simple rules will greatly facilitate your child’s and your own life and will allow you to plan your actions in advance.
There is no fixed time when a child should go to sleep, because need for sleep, and lifestyles are very different from one child to another. However, you can search for the typical sleep requirements for different age groups of children, and use them as a guide. Note that these rules can’t be applied to infants and children younger than 4 months, because their biological rhythms haven’t been formed yet.
Clothes and temperature in the bedroom.
And again – there are no clear rules, but the main thing – dress your child like yourself. Also note that usually sleeping in a cool (not cold) room is much better than in the hot one.
Sleep means separation, and this process can be facilitated by giving such things as dolls, teddy bear, blanket, etc. Your child will develop a sense of security because of this, will control the situation, and therefore will calm down quickly.
Sleeping with parents
Some parents think that for a good emotional development a child should sleep in one bed or at least in one room with them. Here are different points of view. I think this is a bad idea.
Everyone sleeps better alone. Children who sleep with you in the same room or even in the same bed can’t learn to fall asleep on their own and they may have problems with sleeping in future. Also remember about snoring.
A child who sleeps with you in the same bed can seriously affect your intimate and sexual life. The longer a child sleeps with you in the same bed, the more difficult it is to decide if it’s time for him to move to his room. Sleeping separately is also very important for a child to be able to form his personality.
Goodbye. Kids will always want to do something before going to bed – kissing, embracing, drinking some water, etc. They can be very creative. Do everything possible to avoid such situations and to do it all before they go to bed. Let your child know that if he went to bed, he must remain there.
Any thoughts concerning the topic? Feel free to leave a comment below…